Updated eduCommons 3.2.1 RPM installation files now available

Updated eduCommons 3.2.1 RPM installation files now available

Tom Caswell
Updated eduCommons 3.2.1 RPM installation files are now available for download for RedHat/CentOS 5.x and SUSE 11.1 distributions. This is not a new release of eduCommons, but rather an improvement of the RPM installations for two Linux distros. The new RPMs use specific versions of dependencies to avoid issues with updated dependencies breaking the installation.

We anticipate a bugfix release of eduCommons with support for additional languages in the near future.

Special thanks to enPraxis and to everyone else who has contributed code, documentation, and bug reports to the eduCommons community.

Cheers,

Tom
Tom Caswell
http://tomcaswell.com
Open Education Consultant

Re: Updated eduCommons 3.2.1 RPM installation files now available

Àlex Magaz
Hi,

I've just tried it, but it still has the RPM build paths hard coded all around. So it doesn't work.

By the way, I'm a bit confused. I wanted to look at the buildout.cfg modifications made for the RPM, but they aren't there. The subversion repository seems very outdated, as the last commit was made on the 6th of March. Have you put it in another place?

The links both in the main page and in the development one, point to this repository:

https://educommons.com/svn/

Cheers,
Àlex

Re: Updated eduCommons 3.2.1 RPM installation files now available

Tom Caswell
Hi Àlex,

Sorry for the delayed response. I believe Brent hard-coded the paths of the dependencies to avoid version conflicts and to be able to ensure tested, working RPMs. If you are having troubles with the new RPMs (labeled as version 3.2.1_1) please send me the specifics and we'll have a look. Thanks for all your great feedback so far.

Now to answer the question about the outdated subversion repository: Due to some MIT copyright restrictions we had to do part of our development for 3.2.1 in a separate repository. We will move that subversion repo out into the open very soon, now that we no longer have those restrictions. All the same code is already available in the tarball of the latest eduCommons, but this step will make it easier for anyone to participate in this community source project, and that is what we want.

Cheers,

Tom

PS - FWIW, if you are using VMWare you can now download complete virtual machine with eduCommons pre-installed here.
Tom Caswell
http://tomcaswell.com
Open Education Consultant

Re: Updated eduCommons 3.2.1 RPM installation files now available

Àlex Magaz
Al 05/11/09 01:53, En/na Tom Caswell [via eduCommons] ha escrit:
> Hi Àlex,

Hi Tom,

> Sorry for the delayed response. I believe Brent hard-coded the paths of
> the dependencies to avoid version conflicts and to be able to ensure
> tested, working RPMs. If you are having troubles with the new RPMs
> (labeled as version 3.2.1_1) please send me the specifics and we'll have
> a look. Thanks for all your great feedback so far.

I think, the problem comes from the way the RPM is built. If you install
the RPM and open the /opt/eduCommons-3.2.1/bin/instance, you'll find all
paths in the sys.path variable pointing to the RPM build path (it's
strange, because I think it should be BUILD instead of SOURCE). If you
run the following command, you'll see lots of other files like this one:

# grep brent -r --binary-files=without-match /opt/eduCommons-3.2.1

I got it fixed running the following:

# cd /opt/eduCommons-3.2.1
# python bootstrap.py -c deployment.cfg
# bin/buildout -oN -c deployment.cfg

I think one possible solution would be to configure buildout to use
/opt/eduCommons-3.2.1 as the path. Something like when you run
'configure --prefix=/opt/whatever', not sure if it's possible.

Another would be running the bootstrap command on the post-install
script. Although I think it didn't work in the previous RPM version.
Maybe it failed for another reason.

But I think the best solution would be to make buildout use relative
paths. I've found the relative-paths option, which should do the trick.
But, for whatever reason, it ends up using absolute paths too. I haven't
found anything about it in the documentation [1], only this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/zope/dev/224324?page=last

> Now to answer the question about the outdated subversion repository: Due
> to some MIT copyright restrictions we had to do part of our development
> for 3.2.1 in a separate repository. We will move that subversion repo
> out into the open very soon, now that we no longer have those
> restrictions. All the same code is already available in the tarball of
> the latest eduCommons, but this step will make it easier for anyone to
> participate in this community source project, and that is what we want.

Ok, I understand now.

Please, include also the spec file into the repository, if it's not
already. It'll be easier to help solving problems with the RPM.

By the way, the link in the download page [2] still points to the old
tarball.

Cheers,
Àlex

[1] http://www.buildout.org/docs/
[2] http://educommons.com/downloads/educommons

Re: Updated eduCommons 3.2.1 RPM installation files now available

Àlex Magaz
Hi,

You modified the RPM but you didn't say anything, did you? Now it
installs flawlessly :) Thanks!

If you could add a dependency on Apache and drop a configuration file
with the rewrite rule in the proper place it would be even better. But
may be I'm asking to much :)

Cheers,
Àlex

Re: Updated eduCommons 3.2.1 RPM installation files now available

Tom Caswell
Hi Àlex,

I announced the new RPMs via the eduCommons Facebook group, the forums, and the educommons.com front page. Because it was only an update to the RPMs we did not assign a new tag. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. I am not sure about the Apache config file and the rewrite rule, but perhaps Brent can comment on this when he has time.

And by the way, thanks for helping out with your responses in the forums! You are always welcome, and we will let you know as soon as we have time to update SVN.

Best regards,

Tom

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM, Àlex Magaz [via eduCommons] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

You modified the RPM but you didn't say anything, did you? Now it
installs flawlessly :) Thanks!

If you could add a dependency on Apache and drop a configuration file
with the rewrite rule in the proper place it would be even better. But
may be I'm asking to much :)

Cheers,
Àlex

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Updated-eduCommons-3-2-1-RPM-installation-files-now-available-tp3915007p4011717.html
To start a new topic under eduCommons, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from eduCommons, click here.

--
Tom Caswell
Open & Distance Learning Consultant

Tom Caswell