RSS not working?

Shaun@UMB-2
Greetings, I just realized that RSS does not seem to be working. Several sites, including ours (UMB), USU and Kaplan are also returning errors.

Is this something that is resolvable?

Thanks,
Shaun

Re: RSS not working?

Shaun@UMB-2
This post was updated on .
Please note that while some courses do work fine, other courses/divisions fail due to TypeError: unindexable object.

It works for some folders, but not all.
Try: http://ocw.umb.edu/computer-science/rss_recent

It works fine- but the actual classes return something else
try: http://ocw.umb.edu/computer-science/an-introduction-to-artificial-intelligence/rss_recent

the other folders return http://pastie.org/1075488

After some digging, I found that the culprit might be a ValueError http://pastie.org/1075484
Plone thinks RSS is not enabled. Even though RSS is enabled  in both the site portal syndication and the folder/division.

The Plone guys were really helpful and think the culprit may be the way content licensing is being handled. "From your 2nd traceback, looks like an issue in collective.contentlicensing"

Any thoughts on what may be causing this bizarre behavior?

RSS not working? Copyright is probably why

Shaun@UMB-2
Got it- with the help of user Daaray, the problem was due to copyright info.

So it looks as though there are 2 issues:
[14:13] <daaray> 1) Copyright Holder only works if the value is (site default)
[14:13] <daaray> 2) Copyright Field fails if values contain non-ascii

This means that in order for RSS to work, the Holder must be the site default. This means that divisions and all child objects have to have site default as their copyright holder.

If you have anything else, RSS will fail.

[14:23] <daaray> How active is content production? If you aren't adding new content often, you could backup your Data.fs, make the changes to the content, and if/when a patch is available, just pop your old Data.fs back in.
[14:24] <daaray> Or neuter the portion of the feed that grabs rights/holder info. Not sure if that's doable in the ZMI

I think one way to work around this may be to change the rss template to handle copyright differently. You'll need ZMI access to do so- I'll post my results.

Re: RSS not working? Copyright is probably why

David Ray
Administrator
Had a bit more time to investigate this to it's end.

The short story is, it's fixed in the trunk.

Here's the key difference....http://pastie.org/1075782

Note line 14 and 30.

I wouldn't grab the trunk right now, as it's in flux for P3 + P4 support and some i18n work.

But, you should be able to have your developers manually edit or make a proper patch and edit that one line, restart, and be good to go.

Cheers!
---------------------
David Ray
Applications Analyst
Lineberger Comprehsensive Cancer Center

Re: RSS not working? Copyright is probably why

Shaun@UMB
Thanks David!

"But, you should be able to have your developers manually edit or make a proper patch and edit that one line, restart, and be good to go. " It might take them a while to get to this issue (we've only one developer and he works on many projects at our school).

So, as a temporary work-around, I've been pursuing just editing the RSS template. Since it's something I can touch.

Daaray had suggested I might be able to fix this by going to portal_view_customizations....finding rss_template        (zope.publisher.interfaces.browser.IDefaultBrowserLayer) and customizing it

Killing the lines that call view.getRightsAndHolder and the associate lines that use those values
http://educommons.com/dev/browser/enpraxis.educommons/trunk/enpraxis/educommons/browser/rss_template.pt

lines to kill: 42, 79, 80, 107 (making sure to close 78 since I killed 79 and 80)
....save the file, and see if feeds work. I know that they won't present that DC info in the feed, but at least the feeds would work and we would not have to modify content.

But that didn't work, same error (oddly enough). Maybe it needed to be restart- is there a way to do that through the ZMI? I don't have access to the Zope server...

Thanks!