Problems installing eduCommons

Àlex Magaz
Hi,

I'm having lots of problems installing eduCommons. No matter what I try,
there's always something that fails. I'll explain.

If I try with the RPM, this is what I get:
# rpm -ivh eduCommons-3.2.1-final.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:eduCommons             ########################################### [100%]
Completing post install ...
While:
  Initializing.
Error: Couldn't download 'http://dist.plone.org/release/3.2.3/versions.cfg' in offline mode.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/buildout", line 9, in ?
    import zc.buildout.buildout
ImportError: No module named zc.buildout.buildout
Done.
By the way, where can I find the src.rpm? I've looked for it in both the site and
in SourceForge but I couldn't find it, neither the spec file.

If I try installing it from the source code, following the instructions on the
web [1]:
$ bin/buildout
[...]
Compiling python modules
Creating fake eggs
Installing productdistros.
While:
  Installing productdistros.
Error: Not a recognized archive type: /usr/local/educommons/downloads/LinguaPlone-2.1.1.tar.gz
Ok, I look at the file to see what's wrong with it, and it turn out it's not a
tar.gz but a "404 Not Found" HTML page. Then I go to the LinguaPlone page and
find that the download site has changed. No problem, I modify the URL in
buildout.cfg and run the process again.

Now, the build process seems to end successfully, there isn't any error message
at the end. However, if I scroll up, I can see some download and syntax errors
like shown below, which I'm not sure whether they are important or not.
[...]
Getting distribution for 'Products.AdvancedQuery==3.0'.
Got Products.AdvancedQuery 3.0.
Download error: (110, 'Connection timed out') -- Some packages may not be found!
Download error: (110, 'Connection timed out') -- Some packages may not be found!
Download error: (110, 'Connection timed out') -- Some packages may not be found!
Download error: (110, 'Connection timed out') -- Some packages may not be found!
Download error: (110, 'Connection timed out') -- Some packages may not be found!
Getting distribution for 'Products.kupu==1.4.12.1'.
[...]
Getting distribution for 'Plone==3.2.3'.
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/Products/CMFPlone/skins/cmf_legacy/TitleOrId.py", line 11
    return title
SyntaxError: 'return' outside function
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/Products/CMFPlone/skins/plone_templates/standard_error_message.py", line 47
    return error_page
[...]
Next, if I try to run the server, it fails like this (full output attached: educommons.out):
$ bin/instance fg
[...]
zope.configuration.xmlconfig.ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/usr/local/educommons/parts/instance/etc/site.zcml", line 18.2-18.64
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/usr/local/educommons/parts/instance/etc/package-includes/012-enpraxis.educommons-overrides.zcml", line 1.0-1.63
    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File "/usr/local/educommons/src/enpraxis.educommons/enpraxis/educommons/overrides.zcml", line 83.2-87.40
    ConfigurationError: ('Invalid value for', 'for', "ImportError: Couldn't import Products.LinguaPlone.interfaces, No module named LinguaPlone.interfaces")
Also, I've tried running the tests to see if there is anything wrong, but I
couldn't as there seems to be a version conflict which I'm not sure how to
solve:
$ bin/buildout -c tests.cfg
[...]
Develop: '/usr/local/educommons/src/rcom.recipe.seleniumenv'
Getting distribution for 'hexagonit.recipe.download'.
Got hexagonit.recipe.download 1.3.0.
While:
  Installing.
  Getting section seleniumenv.
  Initializing section seleniumenv.
  Installing recipe rcom.recipe.seleniumenv.
Error: There is a version conflict.
We already have: zc.buildout 1.1.2
but hexagonit.recipe.download 1.3.0 requires 'zc.buildout>=1.4.0'.
As I've seen some eduCommons site from other universities I guess I'm doing something wrong ;-). Could someone give me some help, please?

The eduCommons version I'm trying to install is 3.2.1 in a Centos 5.3 and (not
yet) testing it from Firefox 3.5.3.

By the way, I'm from Universitat de Lleida (University of Lleida, Spain).

Thanks,
Àlex

Re: Problems installing eduCommons

Tom Caswell
Hi Àlex,

I'm not sure why the RPM for CentOS isn't working, but I will check with Brent Lambert of enPraxis to see if he can help.

Cheers,

Tom

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Àlex Magaz (via Nabble) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Problems-installing-eduCommons-tp3849990p3849990.html
To start a new topic under eduCommons, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from eduCommons, click here.

Tom Caswell
http://tomcaswell.com
Open Education Consultant

Re: Problems installing eduCommons

Àlex Magaz
Hi Tom,

Al 20/10/09 01:54, En/na Tom Caswell [via eduCommons] ha escrit:
> Hi Àlex,
>
> I'm not sure why the RPM for CentOS isn't working, but I will check with
> Brent Lambert of enPraxis to see if he can help.

I've found why the RPM isn't working. I think the problem is that you
are running bootstrap as the package build process. This hardcodes the
RPM build paths into the buildout script which makes it fail to import
the module. If you tell me where I can get the src.rpm or the spec file,
I think I'll be able to fix it. One possible workaround would be to run
the build process (bootstrap and buildout) manually from the RPM
installation target, pack it into a tarball and set it as source in the
spec file.

By the way, I've finally succeeded installing through the source code
way. I've had some problems so I'll explain them because I'm not sure
whether I did something wrong or it has to be fixed in the buildout
configuration.

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Àlex Magaz (via Nabble) <[hidden email]
> <http://n2.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=3855905&i=0>> wrote:
>
> [...]
 >

>     Next, if I try to run the server, it fails like this (full output
>     attached: educommons.out
>     <http://n2.nabble.com/file/n3849990/educommons.out>):
>
>     $ bin/instance fg
>     [...]
>     zope.configuration.xmlconfig.ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File"/usr/local/educommons/parts/instance/etc/site.zcml", line 18.2-18.64
>          ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File"/usr/local/educommons/parts/instance/etc/package-includes/012-enpraxis.educommons-overrides.zcml", line 1.0-1.63
>          ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File"/usr/local/educommons/src/enpraxis.educommons/enpraxis/educommons/overrides.zcml", line 83.2-87.40
>          ConfigurationError: ('Invalid value for','for',"ImportError: Couldn't import Products.LinguaPlone.interfaces, No module named LinguaPlone.interfaces")

This problem comes from LinguaPlone module not being in the sys.path in
bin/instance. It works after adding the path to the list.

Neither ProxyIndex nor LinguaPlone appear on the sys.path and they are
the only two modules on the [productdistros] section. So, maybe this is
related to the problem. But just guessing as all this buildout thing is
new to me.

Another doubt I have is about buildout.cfg and deployment.cfg. I haven't
found any reference on the documentation. I guess the former is for test
installations and the later for production ones. But then, why the
documentation only references buildout.cfg but the RPM uses
deployment.cfg? If I use it, this is what happens:

  # bin/buildout -c deployment.cfg
  Getting distribution for 'plone.recipe.zope2zeoserver'.
  Got plone.recipe.zope2zeoserver 1.4.
  Getting distribution for 'collective.recipe.zope2cluster'.
  Got collective.recipe.zope2cluster 1.1.
  Getting distribution for 'collective.recipe.plonesite'.
  Got collective.recipe.plonesite 1.0.
  Uninstalling fss.
  Updating zope2.
  Updating fake eggs
  Updating productdistros.
  Installing zeoserver.
  Created directory /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver
  Created directory /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/etc
  Created directory /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/var
  Created directory /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/log
  Created directory /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/bin
  Wrote file /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/etc/zeo.conf
  Wrote file /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/bin/zeoctl
  Changed mode for /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/bin/zeoctl
to 755
  Wrote file /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/bin/runzeo

  Changed mode for /root/eduCommons.buildout/parts/zeoserver/bin/runzeo
to 755
  While:

    Installing zeoserver.

  An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
  recipe being used:
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File
"/root/eduCommons.buildout/eggs/zc.buildout-1.1.2-py2.4.egg/zc/buildout/buildout.py",
line 1509, in main
      getattr(buildout, command)(args)

    File
"/root/eduCommons.buildout/eggs/zc.buildout-1.1.2-py2.4.egg/zc/buildout/buildout.py",
line 473, in install
      installed_files = self[part]._call(recipe.install)

    File
"/root/eduCommons.buildout/eggs/zc.buildout-1.1.2-py2.4.egg/zc/buildout/buildout.py",
line 1091, in _call
      return f()

    File
"/root/eduCommons.buildout/eggs/plone.recipe.zope2zeoserver-1.4-py2.4.egg/plone/recipe/zope2zeoserver/__init__.py",
line 117, in install

      self.install_scripts()

    File
"/root/eduCommons.buildout/eggs/plone.recipe.zope2zeoserver-1.4-py2.4.egg/plone/recipe/zope2zeoserver/__init__.py",
line 289, in install_scripts

      relative_paths=self._relative_paths,

  TypeError: scripts() got an unexpected keyword argument
'relative_paths'

The problem is that buildout is using zc.buildout 1.1.2 but the
relative_paths argument didn't appear until version 1.2.0
(http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout#id141). I couldn't find out how
make it to use a newer version, so I'm stuck here. With tests.cfg seems
to happen something similar (see below).

>     Also, I've tried running the tests to see if there is anything
>     wrong, but I
>     couldn't as there seems to be a version conflict which I'm not sure
>     how to
>     solve:
>
>     $ bin/buildout -c tests.cfg
>     [...]
>     Develop:'/usr/local/educommons/src/rcom.recipe.seleniumenv'
>     Getting distribution for'hexagonit.recipe.download'.
>     Got hexagonit.recipe.download 1.3.0.
>     While:
>        Installing.
>        Getting section seleniumenv.
>        Initializing section seleniumenv.
>        Installing recipe rcom.recipe.seleniumenv.
>     Error: There is a version conflict.
>     We already have: zc.buildout 1.1.2
>     but hexagonit.recipe.download 1.3.0 requires'zc.buildout>=1.4.0'.

Shall I open tickets in the Trac for this issues?

Well, I'll report back if I find how to solve them.

Cheers,
Àlex

Re: Problems installing eduCommons

Tom Caswell
Hi Àlex,

You have made good progress on the installation problems, and I know Brent Lambert from enPraxis has also been working on several improvements to the RPM installations, including CentOS. I think he will be done very soon (maybe tomorrow), and I will make another post as soon as the new RPMs are available for download. Sorry for all the trouble. I think this time the installation will be much cleaner.

Cheers,

Tom

PS - I believe Brent is also addressing the buildout.cfg issues. Remove LinguaPlone from [productdistros] and add Products.LinguaPlone==2.1.1 to the eggs section. He cleaned up several other things, but I think if you do that much it should work.
Tom Caswell
http://tomcaswell.com
Open Education Consultant