Problem of the tab bar

Pango853
The tab bar before is like :
    * Courses
    * About OCW
    * Help
    * Feedback

Suddenly the items in tab bar all disappeared. And I really cannot remember what I did before would have caused it.
The html sourse :
    <ul id="portal-globalnav">
        <li id="portaltab-index_html" class="selected">
            Home</li>
    </ul>

Can anybody kindly tell me how to edit the tab bar? Or is there a way to repair it(or initialize)?

Re: Problem of the tab bar

Shaun@UMB-2
bump

According to the documentation:
Customizing Default Pages
"A default install of eduCommons provides a number of informational pages, namely a front page, and pages in the help and about sections. These pages are typically only meant to be place holders. You should edit these pages accordingly to fit within your institutional guidelines. The front page is meant to be a showcase for your OpenCourseware collection. You can edit and update it as often as you like. You may choose to stick with the default template, or you may change it to suit whatever need you may have."

How do we edit the Top Navigation Tabs? I would like to:
1) Add a new tab
2) Delete a tab
3) Link tabs directly to pages, instead of being place holders.

Thanks!
Shaun

Re: Problem of the tab bar

blambert
Shaun@UMB-2 wrote
[...]

To add a new section to your site, create a folder at the top level of your site and name it accordingly.

Then edit the folder and find the "Settings" sub tab and unclick "Exclude from navigation" to then allow it to appear in the top nav bar.

Note that only items created in the root of the site will appear in the top nav.

Once you have the folder create a new page in the folder. Make it the default view by navigating back to the folder, and selecting the "Display" dropdown method in the green bar below the main tabs. Once here select "Select a content item as the default view ..." option and then choose the new page you just made.

Now when you click on your new folder in the top nav the page view will be the default view for that folder. You can then add new pages and hyperlink them together. See the about and feedback folders for examples if you need to.

Remember that you will have to move the content through the workflow if you want unauthenticated users to see the new content.

If you had tabs appearing in the top nav but are no longer appearing, go to the top of your site and check that the objects are in the contents listing. If they are there, then check to make sure they are not excluded from navigation and have been published through the workflow.

Brent

Re: Problem of the tab bar

Shaun@UMB-2
Thanks Brent! That worked beautifully. I hadn't realized that excluding the items in home would make them pop up in the top nav. Very handy.