OER Recommender not working

Àlex Magaz
Hello,

I've enabled OER Recommender, but it doesn't seem to work. If I use the form in folksemantic's web I get recommendations and I can see an access like below in Apache logs:

174.129.202.127 - - [09/Feb/2011:16:55:42 +0100] "GET /engineering-and-architecture/plataformes-de-desenvolupament-daplicacions-de-comerc-electronic HTTP/1.1" 200 28811 "-" "Java/1.6.0_11"

However, when I browse through our courses I don't get any recommendation at all and I don't see any access in Apache logs either. Is there anything else that must be done apart from enabling the "OER Recommender" option in Site Setup > eduCommons?

Thanks,
Àlex

Re: OER Recommender not working

blambert
Hello Àlex,

I have forwarded your post on to the developers of the OER Recommender platform, but in the mean time here are some things that you can check out.

The OER Recommender is a client side plugin that fires off of javascript that is downloaded to the browser. The best way to see if it is working is to use firebug (or something similar) to debug the call. Specifically look for the URL that gets sent to the recommender service and see if it looks correct. If you are on the same machine that eduCommons is running on and accessing it through localhost or a different port, or if you are using a different domain to access the page than the one you registered with the OER Recommender serivice, that would be one reason not to get any responses back.

Another thing to look at is to see if your browser is blocking 3rd party javascript requests. Try it on a handful of other machines and see if the requests are still not coming up.

And finally you can look at the page source and see if you are getting any HTML that has to do with the OER Recommender portlet. If I am remembering correctly the OER Recommender portlet is designed to not show anything if there is no recommendations. However, if you are seeing any part of the recommender in the HTML, it could be pointing to an issue with the URL being sent (or the call into OER R) If the portlet is not showing up, you can also check that it is assigned correctly by logging into eduCommons with an admin account and then browse to the course where it should be working. From there find the manage portlets link, click on it, and then look for the OER Recommender portlet assignment on the right. If it is there, but still not showing anything, again it will point to a problem with the results that OER R is returning. If it is not there you can assign it manually.

Here is an example of an eduCommons instance where the recommender is working, to use as a comparison.

http://ocw.nd.edu/anthropology/creole-language-and-culture

If you are still having problems and none of the suggestions above help, post again and I will look into it further.

Brent

Re: OER Recommender not working

Àlex Magaz
Hello Brent,

blambert wrote
Hello Àlex,

I have forwarded your post on to the developers of the OER Recommender platform, but in the mean time here are some things that you can check out.

The OER Recommender is a client side plugin that fires off of javascript that is downloaded to the browser. The best way to see if it is working is to use firebug (or something similar) to debug the call. Specifically look for the URL that gets sent to the recommender service and see if it looks correct. If you are on the same machine that eduCommons is running on and accessing it through localhost or a different port, or if you are using a different domain to access the page than the one you registered with the OER Recommender serivice, that would be one reason not to get any responses back.
I've checked with this page for which I get recommendations if I submit it in the form at folksemantics.

From Firebug I see this request:

GET recommendations.pjs?educommons=true&u=http://ocw.udl.cat/enginyeria-i-arquitectura/xarxes-ii&title=true

with the following in the headers:

Host: www.oerrecommender.org
Referer: http://ocw.udl.cat/enginyeria-i-arquitectura/xarxes-ii

and the following in the response:

Notice the 4 bytes in content length. I don't get any Javascript.

blambert wrote
Another thing to look at is to see if your browser is blocking 3rd party javascript requests. Try it on a handful of other machines and see if the requests are still not coming up.
I've tried from different machines/OS/browsers but still nothing.

blambert wrote
[...]
The portlet is enabled and I can see it in the page source:

  <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"
          src="http://www.oerrecommender.org/recommendations.pjs?educommons=true&amp;u=http://ocw.udl.cat/enginyeria-i-arquitectura/xarxes-ii&amp;title=true">
  </script>

blambert wrote
Here is an example of an eduCommons instance where the recommender is working, to use as a comparison.

http://ocw.nd.edu/anthropology/creole-language-and-culture
In this page I can see the recommendations, and if I run the following from a terminal, I get a response with the javascript code:

wget "http://www.oerrecommender.org/recommendations.pjs?educommons=true&u=http://ocw.nd.edu/anthropology/creole-language-and-culture&title=true" -O response

However, I don't get anything with my course:

wget "http://www.oerrecommender.org/recommendations.pjs?educommons=true&u=http://ocw.udl.cat/enginyeria-i-arquitectura/xarxes-ii&title=true" -O response

By the way, I also have our site registered in their web, both with RSS and OAI.

Any idea of what else can be the cause of the problem?

Thanks,
Àlex