Memory??

chacart
Hi!

I'm adding new courses to my new eduCommons 3.2.1 and I'm having problems because Zope restarts every time I make a submit... o even when I'm just browsing contents...

At the begining it was just when I imported a zip file, but now is all the time...

Any idea of what is the problem?

Maybe I have to configure something about the memory usage, cache or something like this...?

Thank you!

Re: Memory??

blambert
Hello,

What you describe is not common behavior that we are used to seeing. Perhaps you can give us some more information about your install and specific details as to what occurs and when. e. g. how did you install, and what are the specifications of the server you are running on.

Is it the Zope client that dies? Is it the back end service or the whole server. What are you doing to trigger the problem? Can you reliably repeat it?

If you are suspecting memory issues, have you looked at memory usage on your server as you use it? Have you seen anything out of the ordinary in how it is using memory?

Brent

Re: Memory??

chacart
Sorry, I have published this message maybe not in the correct section of this forum...

It was a clean installation, from zero. The OS is Ubuntu 7.04. I can't know much more about the server because I make tests in my local machine and then I send the product to another department for installation, I'm not in control of this server.

I think is the Zope client that dies... Maybe I should activate the debug mode, but I'd have to make a request for the system department to modify the zope.conf...

I have seen that in an old installation of eduCommons (2.3.1), Zope had in its zope.conf:

<zodb_db main>
    # Main database

# FileStorage database
    <filestorage>
      path ....filestorage/Data.fs
    </filestorage>
    mount-point /
</zodb_db>

And in the new installation (eduCommons 3.2.1) I have:

<zodb_db main>
    # Main database
    cache-size 5000

# FileStorage database
    <filestorage>
      path /home/gladys/Escritorio/eduCommons.buildout/var/filestorage/Data.fs
    </filestorage>
    mount-point /
</zodb_db>

Apart from that I wanted to know if there is something else that it's convenient to configure from the ZMI, about the memory usage.

The problem is reliable repeatable, because almost every time I Import a zip file into the Contents section of any new course, the connection fails, the browser says it can't find the URL and I have to wait about 3 minutes to browse the site again.

Thank you.

Re: Memory??

chacart
We've solved it!

It was just a matter of the server RAM, we added 1GB of RAM.

Gladys.

Re: Memory??

Tom Caswell
I'm glad that worked. Thanks for posting the solution so others can benefit as well.

Cheers,

Tom
Tom Caswell
http://tomcaswell.com